Thursday, April 05, 2007

I Forgot About This Blog

One morning several months ago, I woke up sick, lay in bed all day, and began this blog. Since then I have forgotten about it. What seemed important to me in a feverish delirium has become unimportant.

This leads me to a crucial point of why blogs blow:

Life itself is mostly a feverish delirium. When something is happening to you, or you are experiencing something, or you are doing something, the immediacy of the experience in that moment trumps all that has ever been, or all that will come after. This passionate moment then drives the world's bloggers to their keyboards to tell everyone about it. Quick! Without haste! I have just eaten a delicious plum from the icebox! I must blog about it!

Later, when other supreme moments have in turn trumped the previous moments, what is left on record is a grubby trail of plum pits and electric bills, useful to no one but their owner, if that.

But with enough wind, even the flimsiest kite will sail, and so it is with enthusiasm and blogs.

Generally when people use their real names on blogs, they either:

1) don't care about the political consequences of revealing themselves, or,

2) wish to be famous, yet care very much about the political consequences of revealing themselves, so will tell you no useful information at all about what they have learned from their little sector of the Great Market for fear they will get in trouble.

Enter enthusiasm. For those driven to be recognized but not fired or scorned, enthusiasm is the flagship trait of successful bloggers. If we're all enthusiastic enough about nothing, it will appear as if we're enthusiastic about something, thus content becomes not a matter of quality writing or photos, but of amperage. How excited are you?

To answer my own question, I'm so excited thinking about the year 2095 when blogs will be eighty-sixed permanently that I accidentally bit off my own tongue and swallowed it.

Before I go off to the emergency room to retrieve my tongue from the depths of my colon, I would like to point out that I must add one exceptional blog to my list.

I am completely and utterly addicted to BoingBoing. Sometimes I even look at this blog before I check my email in the morning. Does that mean it's good? Yes. As good as drinking a bottle of wine while my dinner goes cold. Reading BoingBoing is to become inebriated by novelty. I follow most links, I enjoy most links, am amused by most everything, and thirty seconds after I leave my machine I don't remember any of it. Besides their vital reporting on the state of copyright law and digital rights management presently being battled out between the government, corporations, and consumers, the website is a compilation of delightful crap that doesn't make me think at all. Instead, I am amused by people putting bagels in CD racks, or making sofas out of bathtubs, or whatnot, and I love them for it.